Hale O Kauka Healing Garden is located on a little over one acre near the North shore in Haiku surrounding the original home of Maui’s first plantation doctor, built between 1850 and 1870. The home, situated in the center of the garden, has been called a “house of healing” for over 150 years.
The doctor’s home was built in the old Hawaiian plantation style with 14 foot ceilings and large lanais but with one distinct difference, it has two doors off the main lanai – one for the doctor’s family to enter their home and another for patients to enter the doctor’s exam room. There are built-in shelves lining the original doctor’s office to hold glass apothecary jars and medicinal tinctures.
The entire home is constructed of pine and Douglas Fir that was imported on huge sailing vessels. The property is home to upcountry’s oldest mango tree, over a century old, it is a giant of a tree that still stands proud and welcomes guests upon arrival. Olu (breadfruit), 3 varieties of avocado, red grapefruit, mangoes, cashew and bananas grow on the property.
To read more about this historic Maui property, click here.